Analyse your needs:
- Make sure that there exists a clear and urgent need to which volunteers can engage.
Choose suitable activities for volunteers:
- Assign one activity to each volunteer; make sure they are clear, assigned tasks; and oversee their completion. Regular, mutual feedback should be a component of cooperation.
- It is important to have an individual in the organisation to organise the work of volunteers.
- Ensure the communication with volunteers, monitor their work, and any difficulties which might arise.
- Announce all changes, see to it that volunteers are informed.
- Take charge of the basic recordkeeping connected to volunteer work.
Risk reduction – protective measures:
- The health of all volunteers taking part is a priority. Analyse risks and find means of protection.
- Think about the volunteers’ psychological well-being.
- Make sure you have current information on the situation’s development, changes in organisation or work methods.
- Don’t be afraid to refuse a volunteering candidate if you have any doubts of their preparedness, motivation, or health status.
- When working directly with clients, give priority to candidates with experience or certain qualifications.